Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Question for ya:

My own little debate. So, obviously I am not a gifted enough runner to have people sponsor me or anything like unto it...but I am at the point where I decided I am sick of paying to run. Seriously, so many races in so many years, and so much moola, gone. Yes, I am glad I ran, love my drawer-full of race t-shirts that are always just a little too big, love my little medal from last year's half marathon, etc...but...I just can't justify it anymore. Sure, I understand paying for the tables, water, closing areas down, prize money, etc...but do races REALLY need to cost soooo much, for instance, what got me on my soap box to begin with, the Half Marathon...$70 smackaroos, yes that is the latest registration price, but even $60, the early reg. fee...c'mon, $60 to run on streets I run on already...
So anyway, I'm putting it to a vote...am I just cheap? Should I be honored to participate? Or should I just run 13.1 miles on my own and go shopping with the $70 instead??? Your thoughts would be appreciated... :)

5 comments:

The Judd Family said...

I agree with you on the financial part. There has been several times where I have wanted to participate in a race, but throwing the money into it just makes it hard. I love the adrenaline though and I think that is basically the only reason why I run a race. Chris always tells me whenever I start thinking about entering a race, "Why pay money to run a 5k when you can just run one on your own." He talks me out of it. I say, if it is a good deal then go for it. Then you won't feel so guilty. For example, on Thanksgiving morning, the 5k I ran only cost $10. I thought it was a sweet deal. Good luck in your decision. You are an amazing runner.

The Summerhays Crew said...

Um, run on your own and come to Vegas with the $70!! That's coming from someone who can't even run a mile though... I say once you have run 1 marathon/half they are all the same right?! Good luck....

Sarah said...

I completely understand - and I feel the same way. I have all but given up on organized runs for that same reason. It annoys me to pay for the same thing I can do on my own, although I do appreciate the satisfaction of not waiting for traffic lights. Also, it is a good way to motivate me because I have a target in mind for preparation, which usually keeps me more focused. Tough call.

Eliza said...

hence the reason I have never done the SL marathon... that just sounds miserable, 26 miles of streets I already know and 90 bucks down the drain... BUT then again I HAVE done the 1/2 and it was fun to be able to see so many people I know and have them cheer for me. But I don't ever pay for races that don't push me, if its a marathon or a half... and in a fun location and if I'm planning to beat my last time... and train properly... then I pay for it... because it pushes me... I now don't run races just to finish, but to improve because I always push myself more for a race... so it depends on what is meaningful to you... a fun location? a race experience? improving your time? pushing yourself? reaching goals?... thats how I look at it... and races are always so much fun... I just have to limit myself.

Lindsey said...

For most 5 and 10 K's I don't pay or register anymore, but I love the feeling of being in a race - it is so much different than just running on my own. Any race longer than 10K I think I would still pay for because I know I wouldn't just go out and run 13.1 miles on my own - unless I had that race-day competition feel - but it is expensive, so ya I guess I'm saying I don't know! Sorry! :)